I am Bill Burge.
Currently a UNIX Administrator and food writer living in St. Louis County, I was formerly a cook in St. Louis from 1997-2000 and 2003-2005. In late 1999 I began dating my now wife and I realized, while mopping the floor after service at Harvest one evening, that the things I wanted from life would be a bit tough working the hard hours of a cook. A brief stint as a pastry chef resulted in my being shown the door due to a lippy –and factual– remark.
In the end, it was a good thing which I’ve never regretted. The knowledge I gained from cooking, while making me particularly demanding about what I expect from a meal, has given me a great appreciation for all food, and I’ve proven to be a far better diner than I ever was cook.
…and in case you were curious:
- 10/1997 – 04/1998 Remy’s Kitchen and Wine Bar (Pantry Cook)
- 04/1998 – 01/2000 The Racquet Club Ladue (Garde Manger / Pastry)
- 04/1999 – 12/1999 Harvest Restaurant (Sauté, Pastry, Grill Cook)
- 12/1999 – 01/2000 Truffles (Pastry Chef)
- 02/2003 – 04/2005 The Racquet Club Ladue (Brunch Cook)
- 1998-1999 4th Course/Pastry Member of American Culinary Federation Junior Chef Competition Team (Silver medal winner state, Gold medal winner Regional)
- 1999 Stages at Harvest on Huron, Spruce and Park Avenue Café (Chicago)
If you have an questions, feel free to contact me.